Gov. Makinde: Ibadan explosion caused by illegal miners | 2 dead, 77 injured (videos )

Seyi Makinde, governor of Oyo State, says two people were killed in the Ibadan explosion, which happened on Tuesday night at Dejo Oyeleye Street, Bodija area of the capital city of his state.

Makinde, who spoke to journalists in Ibadan, said the explosion, which also injured 77 people, was caused by illegal miners who stored explosive devices in one of the buildings in Bodija area of Ibadan.

“We visited the scene of the explosion which occurred at about 7.40 pm yesterday, 16 January 2024 in Bodija, Ibadan,” the governor said.

“This unfortunate incident resulted in death and injury to residents in the vicinity and also affected properties. We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations.”

He added that preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that “illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast”.

Makinde stated that the investigations are ongoing and all those found culpable for this will be brought to book.

The governor said the rescue operations will continue throughout the night.

“Earth moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident,” he said.

“The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan. Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.”

Condoling with the families of those who lost lives and properties to the explosion, Makinde said “in total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.”

Makinde: State to clear medical bills

Makinde assured residents that the state government will take care of the medical bills of all victims of the blast.

“We will also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensuring that they are supported to rebuild their lives,” he said.

“I urge all residents to please call 615 for any emergencies they may be experiencing at this time and to remain calm and stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference.

“We are grateful to the first responders, security personnel and all those who are at the scene to assist with the rescue operations as well as the medical personnel taking care of the injured.

“Please say a prayer for those who have been affected by this disaster as we continue with the rescue operations”

About unclemtech

Check Also

Nigeria Regains Cheapest Petrol In West Africa Title

The price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), popularly known as petrol, in Nigeria, remains the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *